CashStar created the digital gifting category in 2008, leading the transformation of the world’s most popular gift from a simple piece of plastic into a versatile mobile and social currency for retailers and consumers. Digital gifting is growing at a rapid pace which creates outstanding opportunities, exciting challenges, and the potential for big rewards for those working in the industry. More than 300 brands across all retail categories use the company’s flexible SaaS platform to drive acquisition, lift, and loyalty through engaging, personalized digital gifting experiences and promotions.
Leading companies rely on CashStar to power the most innovative and advanced prepaid and digital gifting programs, including Best Buy, Brookstone, Coach, Crate & Barrel, Dell, Dunkin’ Donuts, Gap, lululemon athletica, Office Depot, Petco, Pottery Barn, QVC, Sephora, Staples, Starbucks, The Cheesecake Factory, The Home Depot, and Williams-Sonoma. In addition, CashStar powers the distribution of digital gift cards into leading loyalty programs and incentive platforms. CashStar continues to experience incredible growth as evidenced by being ranked the #6 software company on the 2013 Inc 500 list of fastest-growing private companies and being named to the Forbes 2014 list of America’s Most Promising Private Companies.
Working with the Product team, the Principal UX Designer is responsible for designing SaaS interfaces that are used by the nation's top retailers and must be efficient, intuitive and compelling. Working closely with the Product & the Development teams, the Principal UX Designer will bring the product vision and requirements to life for CashStar’s industry leading digital gifting solutions.
Collaborating closely with the Product team, you will ensure that product requirements reflect your expertise in interaction design and your intuition and experience concerning how user interfaces impact product performance. Using whatever tools fit the job, you will prototype and iteratively validate designs that provide innovative and effective solutions to complex user experience problems. In cooperation with the Product Manager, you will conduct experiments so that existing interfaces are refined, proposed solutions are competitively compared and innovation is evidence based.
This role is a hands-on team player with the opportunity to work with leadership to grow the UX team and lead that function within the organization.
- Experiments and research – based on the partnership with Product, and aligned with the Product Roadmap, you will use best practices to assess the success of users in performing key task and achieving key objectives.
- Interaction Design – based on selected story requirements and the insight gathered from research, the designer will design and document software solutions that meet or exceed the need of the user and the business in a compelling and intuitive way
- Graphic Design – create visually arresting, consistent, high-quality visual design that reflects the CashStar marketing and brand identity
- Prototypes – based on specific problems, the designer will help create prototypes that will be used to iteratively validate and evolve solutions. Anything from paper and pen to fully interactive web based prototypes may be used to gain insight and validation on a design idea or solution.
- Agile Story development – working with the Product Backlog and high-level Stories provided by the Product Manager, the designer will use their knowledge and research to refine Stories so that they accurately reflect the needs of the user and the scenarios they encounter
- Liaise with customers - the designer will help CashStar to understand customer needs and articulate to the rest of the team how to solve their problems, meet their requirements and exceed their expectations.
- Analyze information and feedback from support – as part of our fact finding activities we will leverage support team and user feedback to understand user requirements.
- Be aware of technology advances – while not a technical role, the designer should have a deep sense of what technologies are currently most appropriate and what is “just now possible”
- Think both conceptually and pragmatically about product strategy to ensure that CashStar remains an industry leader
- Present information - to the internal stakeholders and external customers where necessary.
- Manage timelines - ensure deadlines are met even when multiple projects happen concurrently.
- Must be an expert in user-centered design methods, techniques, and principles
- 5+ years of experience working as an Interaction Designer or User Experience Professional designing and developing software solutions ideally with experience in ecommerce or SaaS products
- Experience in building and growing a UX team
- Experience interacting with users, understanding their needs and translating into product designs
- Experience prototyping and conducting and analyzing web-based interface experiments
- Experience in designing to WCAG 2.0 guidelines is ideal
- Proven ability to produce user experience documentation: storyboards, user scenarios/tasks, user flows, wireframes, prototypes, annotated mock-ups, etc.
- Familiarity with Creative Cloud, and rapid prototyping tools (e.g., InVision, Sketch, Balsamiq) and willingness to test and recommend new software
- A deep interest in human beings, how they think, their behaviors and limitations.
- An avid learner that stays up to date on latest trends in product design and web/mobile technology
- Superb organizational skills including the ability to juggle multiple projects varying in size and complexity, prioritizing time and tasks as needed to meet aggressive deadlines
- An innovative and creative nature with an acute attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to deal with and resolve ambiguity